Monday 15 June 2020

Photographing Velvet Jones




Velvet Jones black and white photograph by Alexandra King Photography

These photographs were taken last year behind the scenes of the Deadly is the Female shoot for the A/W collection. 
I was in awe of Sophia aka Velvet Jones who modeled with such elegance. I'd love to work with Sophia again with a ballet aesthetic.
I'm finding it really difficult to explain what I call beauty and why I choose my aesthetic. Its subjective, its definitely in the eye of the beholder and everyone is individually beautiful. I've met lots of beautiful women but a natural confidence and intelligence always come through. 
I need to learn more about the ethics and philosophy around beauty and aesthetics. Choosing and photographing a person as a model can be uncomfortable as they become an object of beauty that I am checking and observing.  


alexandra king black and white photograph of velvet ones with afro



velvet jones model by alexandra king photographer

velvet jones model by alexandra king photographer

black and white photograph of velvet jones by alexandra king photography

I definitely need to learn to take a sharper image in low light black and white but I love these dressing room photos. 
Below the colour images I tried to get the koda-chrome red look. The green and yellow were happy accidents but I loved the mid century style. 

colour kodachrome photograph of velvet jones by alexandra king photography

kodachrome style photograph of velvet jones by alexandra king fashion photography

Other edits - playing around with a more powdery matte look.


black women in leopard dress with afro fashion photography by alexandra king

black and white portrait of a woman by alexandra king


black and white portrait of a woman by alexandra king

black and white portrait of a woman by alexandra king