Sunday 16 August 2020

Silk Dress

silk dress by alexandra king photography
 
For the first time I've been using the front room of my studio to work in. Why haven't I done this sooner. This is a silk dress I've been working on for a new project. 

I rented my studio so I had an 'impressive' space for customers and the front room was reserved for them whist I worked in the back with terrible light. So much of my confidence in my work was bound up in having a suitably luxurious space for brides and customers. I was so worried about what they would think that I dropped the prices of my dresses inline with my confidence.
After years of having various studios, a shop and now the dream studio I realize that my work is about the dresses I create not impressing customers with whats expected in the bridal industry. I used to stress about whether my teaspoons were fancy enough! 

I once heard a story about Alexander McQueen turning up with his dresses in a bin bag. He created some of the most beautiful garments I have ever seen up close.
As a designer maker I'm not here to fluff customers with bubbly and a sales performance, I'm here to make beautiful things.