Tuesday 18 August 2020

Finding Colour - Alpine Green



alpine tree alexandra king photography


I was listening to the Candid Frame as I do every day and on Episode 464 Sam Abel or 463 Sarah Terry they mentioned picking a colour and then looking for that colour in your street photography to build a pallet or theme. It may have been something learnt from Jay Maisel but anyway I thought I would give it a go on my walk back to the car. 

I definitely learn from very simple explanations of how to do something. The right sentence can unlock my brain and help me understand how to do something immediately. For years I struggled with pattern cutting until a sewing machine salesman walked into our uni studio and said, 'its just a 3D puzzle where each piece has to fit together' from that moment on I could visualize the garment and how to cut the pattern.

Building a colour theme in my photography is as simple as just looking for that particular colour everywhere you go and photographing it. It completely opened my eyes on the walk home. I spotted bright reds, dark reds, teal blues, dark greens, etc. Its made me a little less afraid of colour.

I need to take some workshops and tutoring in photography as there are some real basics I need to learn. 


colour spotting alexandra king photography

color spotting alexandra king photography

spotting colour alexandra king photography